Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Now Featured in the Media Center: WEB 2.0

The possibilities for using Web 2.0 for educational activities are only limited by our imaginations. The one of the threads of the readings was not to let policies and fear limit the educational uses because our students need guidance in using the web as an integral education tool as well as using it safely for their social interactions. After completing the readings for this module a see a stronger need for my involvement as a technology leader than I had before. The articles identified a technological leader as one who uses technological effectively, where as I’ve tended to get hung up in technical end of physically using technology - the how to of using and troubleshooting problems with the equipment. The mindset I am switching to is similar to the role I play as an information specialists where I advise staff and students which resources to use to find the information they need. With technology of the Web 2.0 variety I need to start thinking of what tool can students and staff use in the creation of their final product. I was surprised to read in Underwood‘s article “21st century learning blocked: what is a librarian to do?” what administrators/gurus think that Web 2.0 tools are a waste of time, and that many of these tools really do compromise network security. The administrators in my district want us to use some Web 2.0 tools like podcasts, but they are fuzzy about Facebook and other social media sites. I know that I need to be a key player in the use of technology to help change the paradigm that Web 2.0 is a waste of time to that of one of a useful education tool that we need the need to teach our students how to safely and ethically. The Schmidt article that was recommend by Christine was excellent. I did not realize that it was possible to set different levels of security for different accounts, which is something that they IT department might be able to do in my district. After this course is over I plan to learn more about the filtering system used at school so that I know more about how it works and what it can and cannot do. After reading both of these articles I feel better prepared to tackle the issue of blocked websites.

Being proactive in today’s climate of budget cuts is essential. Some of my classmates are active on some pretty impressive committees, for example school improvement chair. The common thread of involvement on technology committees and their demise was very interesting to read about on the discussion posts. I thought that maybe it was just the top down management style of the new district administrators, all of whom by the way have been on the job four years or less depending on the job. I particularly admired the way Shelly handled the situation of walking in on two bigwigs who were planning to add more computers to the library. After reading her post I realized that the technology director I work with tends to be more receptive to emails than face-to-face meetings. I’ll have to try communicating with him more via email this coming school year. I was not surprised to common thread that appeared during the discussion of policies on the discussion board that my classmates are concerned about internet filters, blocked websites, social networks and AUPs. It was interesting to see that the entire class’s responses to the policy scenarios that were posed on Voice Thread focused on ways to turn the scenario around so that students would be able to benefit from the use of a new technology or a change in a policy. As my grandmother was fond of saying there is more than one way to skin a cat its all in how you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment